Common allergen. Mold is a common cause of allergies for many people.
It doesn’t take a scientist to tell you that mold can affect your health. Yes, it’s everywhere, but natural forces usually keep it in balance. When that balance is upset – whether in your intestines or in your basement – trouble begins to brew. ServiceMaster of Greater Bridgeport is a mold cleanup and restoration company that can get mold under control in your home. If you have recently experienced flooding, whether due to a plumbing leak or natural causes, and you suspect the presence of mold, call us for a mold remediation estimate.
Mold is often visible to the naked eye. Mold spores, however, are not. They move about on air currents throughout the house. Mold spores can easily migrate from the basement to the top floor bedroom. Your first sign that mold is present may be a strong musty odor. Mildew, a form of mold, may have formed at the bottom of a bedroom closet. Rotting wood in a crawl space or basement is another sure sign that mold has taken root.
We live among, breath and ingest mold every day, usually with no adverse affects. People with mold allergies, however, are not so lucky. Reactions may include:
Symptoms may persist for weeks or months, so it’s imperative to deal with mold before you or members of your family begin to suffer.
Recent studies show that damp houses may be a cause of asthmatic attacks and allergic reactions -- and even of developing asthma in the first place -- because excess moisture allows mold to thrive.
Quick growth. Mold can grow and spread very quickly on any surface that provides it with moisture and food.
Water damage, as long as it is addressed quickly and professionally, will rarely cause a significant mold problem. If your mold problem persists after cleanup, it may be due to other factors.
Storage of old newspapers, boxes of old books, and scrap wood in basements and garages can also be a source of mold. Eliminate unnecessary items and store the rest in airtight plastic containers.
Condensation on uninsulated pipes and duct equipment may be the culprit. Water leaks in foundations, roofs, siding, or anywhere else in the building envelope are other possible sources. By thoroughly inspecting your home’s HVAC and plumbing systems, you can help eliminate water leaks and reduce mold populations. Don’t forget to inspect whole-house humidifiers. If not maintained regularly, they are a common distributor of mold.
After ridding your home of unwanted water, the best way to neutralize mold is to lower the humidity in your home with a dehumidifier. Heavy-duty, automated units are available for basements and crawlspaces. Mold spores become inactive when the humidity falls below 50 percent, which is the reason it is not usually found in dry climates.
As residential mold removal and abatement specialists, ServiceMaster of Greater Bridgeport can get rid of any serious mold contamination in your home. Our procedures include visual inspection, testing before and after remediation, isolation of the contaminated area during sanitization, and effective sanitization products that will not damage your property or harm your family. We can also repair areas damaged by mold.
Contact us today if you suspect mold contamination in your home.
Mold colonies spread easily. Mold develops quickly and can spread through the air.
Mold and bacteria are not the same. The former is a type of fungus that feeds on dead organic material, such as wood and the paper that covers drywall – and even food in the fridge. Mold typically consists of multiple-cell organisms (although some single-cell molds do exist). The discoloration around a tub where it meets the wall is a type of mold. Mold colonies start small and can spread to cover large areas. Left unchecked, they can cause wood rot. They can also launch seed-like spores via air currents and travel to new locations. Mildew is mold at an early stage.
Bacteria, on the other hand, are single-cell organisms that are usually invisible to us. They require moist foods with some protein and low-acidity to thrive. Milk, meat, and seafood are foods that most people worry about becoming contaminated by bacteria, but so can cooked rice and baked potatoes if left long enough at room temperature.